The Academy Awards are back on Sunday, March 2nd and the nominees for best picture are in!
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips (View in our catalog)
- Dallas Buyers Club (View in our catalog)
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
(Visit the official Oscars website to view the rest of the nominated actors and films.)
Enjoy some trivia on the films, taken from IMDb.com:
- According to Christian Bale, much of American Hustle was improvised. So, during the shooting of the film, he noted to David O. Russell, "You realize that this is going to change the plot greatly down track." To which the director replied, "Christian, I hate plots. I am all about characters, that's it."
- During an interview on NPR's "Fresh Air", Tom Hanks said the first time he met the actors playing the Somali pirates in Captain Phillips was when they started filming a scene of the pirates taking over the ship’s bridge. Paul Greengrass mentioned he did this intentionally to build up tension between the actors onboard the ship and the actors playing the Somali pirates.
- Matthew McConaughey lost 47 pounds in assuming his role as an AIDS patient in Dallas Buyers Club. Jared Leto lost 30 pounds for his role.
- The film Gravity is 90 minutes long. In real life, the International Space Station travels at approximately 17,500 mph and orbits the earth every 90 minutes. The debris field also circles the earth every 90 minutes.
- Samantha Morton was originally the voice of the operating system also named Samantha in Her, and was present on the set with Joaquin Phoenix every day. After filming had wrapped and Spike Jonze started editing the movie, he felt like something was not right. With Morton's blessing, he decided to recast the role and Scarlett Johansson was brought in to replace Morton, re-recording all the dialogue.
- Nebraska is Alexander Payne's fourth film set in his home state of Nebraska after Citizen Ruth, Election, and About Schmidt. Philomena contains flashback scenes presented as "home movies", some of which were created for the film while some are actual footage of her real son.
- In order to better portray an alcoholic in 12 Years a Slave, Michael Fassbender had his makeup artist paint his mustache with alcohol so that the other actors would react naturally to the smell as they would to a man who had been drinking heavily.
- The real Jordan Belfort whose life The Wolf of Wall Street is based on appears in a brief role in the film's final scene, introducing his cinema stand-in Leonardo DiCaprio. As accurately portrayed, Belfort is now a motivational speaker who previously served 22 months in federal prison for stock fraud.
AV Blog Entry Type:
Movie Blog Tags: