Downloading Music and Videos with Freegal
Freegal is based on a credit system. Library patrons get five credits per week. For one credit you can get a song, and for two you can get a video. If you have run out of credits for the week, you can simply add songs and videos to a wishlist, and download them with the credits you get the next week.
From this page you can browse songs and videos, see what's new and what's popular, and browse by genre. Or you can use the search box at the top of the page to find particular songs, artists, albums, and videos.
Let's go through the process of downloading a song. First, login by clicking the "Login" button at the top right of the page. Now enter your library card number.
If you want the song "I Had Me A Girl", by The Civil Wars, you could enter the song title in the search box.
This will bring you to the page for the album the song appears on. Now you can click the play button to hear a sample of the song. If you click the button with a + sign next to the song, you can either download the song, or add it to a wishlist so you can download it later.
If you click "download", your computer will prompt you to save the song in a file on your computer. Now you own the song, and you can transfer it to a mobile device or burn it to a CD. It's yours to enjoy.
Freegal also has Apple and Android apps for your mobile devices. These are useful if you're out and about, however, we recommend using the Freegal website to download songs to your computer first. This allows you to transfer them from your computer to your mobile device, so you have them in both places. If you use iTunes, you can download the song to your computer, and then transfer it into you iTunes library.
If you have an questions about using Freegal, please don't hesitate to email us at email@example.com, or call the Reference Department at 847-681-7031. Happy listening!
How to stream music & create playlists
Highland Park library card holders have access to 3 hours of streaming music every day. Counters are in the upper right corner and will keep you informed of your usage.
a. When you put your cursor over a song or an album, you will see a "stream now" button come up. That's your cue to press that button and start listening. If you press that button on an album, the whole album will play in order.
b. You can use "Freegal Playlists". This is a list of pre-selected songs in a genre that you are sure to enjoy.
c. To create a playlist:
1. Click on "My Playlists" under "Streaming" on the left side.
2. Click on "Create and Store Playlists".
3. At the top center, click on the "+" symbol next to "Saved Playlists".
4. Name your playlist (ex. “The Boss") and describe it (ex. "Bruce").
5. In that box, click on "Create New Playlist" and your playlist is ready to add music.
6. Click on the "Home" page and start looking for music to add.
7. To add an album, move your cursor over an album cover and a =+ will appear. Click on that, and then add to your chosen playlist option.
8. To add an individual song, click on the image until you see a play arrow and =+ sign. Pressing the =+ will allow you to add the song to your chosen playlist.