The United States changed forever when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963. News coverage was immediate and all-encompassing. You can see the Chicago Tribune coverage in the library's premium resource, Historical Chicago Tribune. Here's a copy of the front page from November 23, 1963.
Information and Reader Services
The Library has not received the Internal Revenue Service or the Illinois Department of Revenue tax forms and instruction booklets as of January 14, 2014.
We will have the most common forms for individuals. The Library does not supply forms for businesses. Businesses and individuals, who need business and employer forms, should order directly from the IRS. Click here for the order form.
We were notified by the IRS that the instruction booklets for the 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ will be shipped by late January through late February.
Seniors and low-income tax filers can obtain free tax preparation help. The State of Illinois listing of Illinois sites.
Internal Revenue Service Contacts:
- Forms and Publications (Individuals & Businesses) - (800) 829-3676
- Telephone Assistance for Individuals - (800) 829-1040
- Telephone Assistance for Businesses - (800) 829-4933
- Refund Hotline - (800) 829-1954
- Telephone Assistance for the Hearing Impaired - (800) 829-4059
- Taxpayer Advocate Service - (312) 566-3800 OR (877) 777-4778
Local IRS Offices (open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm)
- 5100 River Road, Schiller Park IL, (847) 671-7541
- 230 S. Dearborn, 17th Floor, Chicago IL, (312) 292-4912
Illinois Department of Revenue Contacts (Monday- Friday 8:00am-5:00pm):
- 24-Hour Forms Order Line - (800) 356-6302
- Taxpayer Assistance Lines- (800) 732-8866 OR (217) 782-3336
- Taxpayer Assistance for the Hearing Impaired - (800) 544-5304
- Business Hot Line - (217) 524-4772
Local Illinois Department of Revenue Offices (open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm)
- Maine North Regional Building, 9511 W. Harrison Ave., Des Plaines IL, (847) 294-4200
- James R. Thompson Center, 100 W. Randolph St., Concourse Level, Chicago IL., (800) 732-8866