Everyone's favorite time of year is fast approaching. Yes, it is almost tax season! To make sure you are prepared the IRS has created a new site with info and links: http://IRS.gov/GetReady
The IRS wants you to be proactive with these issues:
- Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN): Your ITIN could expire on Dec. 31, 2016 if you haven't used that number at least once between 2013-2015 OR if the middle digits include 78 or 79. Renew your ITIN now.
- Refunds: If you claim Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS cannot release your refund until Feb. 15, 2017.
- Adjusted Gross Income (AGI): If you are using a new tax software product, you may need your 2015 Adjusted Gross Income figure (1040 line 37; 1040A line 21; 1040EZ line 4)
- Protecting Taxpayers: The IRS has upgraded its identification process for online tools. Register for certain online self-help tools before filing.
- IRS Help: IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers will offer appointment service by Dec. 2106. Online and telephone assistance is offered by the IRS. Local IRS locations: